Of course, watching it made me WANT pie.
So I did some googling on the pie that most intrigued me: The Strawberry Chocolate Oasis Pie. The character Joe describes it as:
“Just a pie! It’s downright expert. A thing’a beauty … how each flavor opens itself, one by one, like a chapter in a book. First, the flavor of an exotic spice hits ya … Just a hint of it … and then you get flooded with chocolate, dark and bittersweet like an old love affair …”
Now, of course that's all there is to go on. So I dug up three recipes: This one form fallinginlovepie. This one from Love & Olive Oil (generally held up as the definitive version) And this one from Jingersnaps.
So I decided to make a mixture of each. (mainly because I gained weight just looking a the Love & Olive oil one!!)
My Version of the Strawberry Chocolate Oasis Pie
Crust: I used a store bought chocolate cookie crust
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 4 oz semi sweet baker's chocolate (It was all I could find. I want to try a more bittersweet kind next time.)
- 3/4 cup egg substitute (I had it in the house)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- A whole lot of strawberries, green parts cut off and halved.
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Putting it together:
- In medium bowl, beat sugar and butter with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla, spices and cooled chocolate. Gradually add in egg substitute and beat on high speed until mixture is light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Put a bit of the mixture on the bottom of the crust, then press in some strawberries.
- I then sprinkled in the vinegar. Just a bit...
- Pile in the rest of the filling. resist the urge to eat it it with a spoon
- put strawberries on top
I need to try it to decide if I need darker chocolate or more spices....
(More to come... after it sets up...)