Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas 2011 Redux!

It was all too much to keep up with while I was gone.  So here's the high points!

We left at 4:45 am, after an unsuccessful attempt to have pancakes.  It was 66 degrees in Newport News, Virginia.  After 10 hours, and $60 in gas we arrived at my mom's house in Syracuse, NY.  It was 34 degrees.  The Spousal Equivalent got the 50 cent tour as I drove to my childhood home.  After claiming that we were starving, we went to Twin Trees Too for pizza, wings and alcoholic drinks.

Saturday was rather quiet.  I cleaned out some things in my old room.  We went to Wegmans for a few things.  The highlight of the night was going to my Aunt and Uncle's house.  Christmas eve was traditionally done at my Grandmother's house (dad's side of the family).  After her passing a few years ago it moved to my Aunt's house.  We ate and drank and had one of those White Elephant gift exchanges.  (My grandfather for the William and Mary mug I bought, which made me happy).

After a breakfast of cocoa french toast (courtesy of my brother), we opened gifts.  Mom remembered that the SE wanted a fire and water proof safe, and that we desperately needed one of those above the toilet bathroom organizers.  Then we gathered the family up and went out to Cazenovia to my uncle's house.   (On the way we drove passed what used to be my Grandparent's house.)  My uncle and aunt (Mom's side of the family) hosted Christmas day for years, until my Aunt's death last year.  I'm glad that my uncle is continuing on the tradition.  With the exception of one cousin, the entire family was there.

After Christmas dinner, we went back to Syracuse, and back to my Aunt's house (where we were for Christmas Eve).  Now... let me give a brief description of my family.  My mom's side of the family is more... iced tea and saltines.  Dad's side is more beer and pretzels.  Our arrival was celebrated with shots.  We had dessert and my cousin mixed me up some very nice margaritas.  My dad and his partner were there.  We talked and drank for hours.  I actually have a new appreciation for my dad and her lady.  (I even discovered that my dad reminds me of Waldorf.)  It was a great time!

Monday we went to visit one of my oldest friends, Chelsey.  She has a wonderful house in Oswego, NY.  We chatted for a long while, for a tour of her place and went to Canale's for lunch.  

We realized that the weather up there was about to turn for the worse, so we made preparations to leave the next morning.  We went back to Wegmans so I could stock up on Dinosaur BBQ sauce and Gianelli sausage.  We then went out to Zebbs with one of my oldest friends.  She's had a rough few years, so it was WONDERFUL to see her.  We talked until 10.  I then didn't sleep that night.

Wednesday morning we took showers and packed the car.  I was working on an hour sleep.  I'm always emotional when I pack up to head home, so today I was doubly emotional.  I cried for the first hour of the trip.  I'm even tearing up writing about it.  (Can you tell I miss my family?)  But after 11 hours, $75 in gas and three stops, we made it home.  The dog slept from about 5 that night straight through until morning.

Today we took down the tree, set up the bathroom organizer.  (It was REALLY needed).  My stomach is unhappy after all the crap I put in it, so I'm munching on toast.  We don't go back to work until Tuesday, so we can take our time getting unpacked and getting the house back in order.  I also failed to replace my netbook cord, and failed to find Starbucks Christmas ornaments (It was a long shot, I know!)

It was a wonderful holiday.  I desperately miss my family... but next time I want to fly.  That drive is killer.

No comments: